The Eagleton Institute of Politics at Rutgers University administers the State House Express, which can help offset transportation costs for classes visiting the capitol. Awards are up to $750, based on need.
Teachers may submit applications to Eagleton at any time during the academic year. Grants are awarded on a rolling basis.
Eligibility criteria for the State House Express Grants are as follows:
- Awards are for students in grades 4-12.
- Classes are to consist of a minimum of 25 students.
- All tours must be completed during the academic year (September-June).
- Teachers in public and private schools are encouraged to apply, including those who have received awards in the past. In special circumstances, separate grants may be awarded to different teachers in the same school.
- Other school groups or organizations who do not meet the exact criteria may also apply and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
State House Express tours focus on the concepts of debate, negotiation and compromise as critical components in the lawmaking process. In addition to a standard civics tour, groups participate in a “Make-A-Law!” program, with students role-playing as legislators. Visits typically are scheduled for a Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday, but alternative arrangements will be offered when possible. Grant recipients will be asked to fill out an evaluation form at the conclusion of the visit.
For further information, click here or contact:
Eagleton Institute of Politics
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
191 Ryders Lane
New Brunswick, NJ 08901