The Eagleton Institute of Politics at Rutgers University administers the State House Express, which can help offset transportation costs for classes visiting the capitol. Awards are $500.
Teachers may submit applications for the 2018-19 program to Eagleton at any time during the academic year. Grants are awarded on a rolling basis. Application available here.
Eligibility criteria for the State House Express Grants are as follows:
- Awards are designated for students in grades 4-12.
- Classes visiting the State House must consist of a minimum of 25 students.
- All tours must be scheduled and completed during the 2018-2019 academic year (September 2018-June 2019).
- All teachers of students in grades 6-12 in public and private schools are encouraged to apply, including those who have received awards in the past. Individual teachers are eligible each year. In special circumstances, separate grants may be awarded to different teachers in the same school.
- Other school groups or organizations who do not meet the exact criteria specified above may also apply and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
State House Express tours focus on the Legislature as an arena where different ideas are deliberated and negotiated and where settlements are reached. Visits must be scheduled on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday and include a “Make-A-Law!” program. Each teacher will be asked to fill out an evaluation form at the conclusion of the tour.
For further information, click here or contact:
Eagleton Institute of Politics
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
191 Ryders Lane
New Brunswick, NJ 08901